Maasai Proverbs

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Jan 10 16:19:00 UTC 2003

>         So what's the explanation for the goat dung proverb?

I think of it as similar to not being able to put a round peg in a
square hole, or some more appropriate proverb I can't remember.
(Something about needing the right tool for the right job.)

The idea, to my mind, is that even something as tiny as a particle of
goat dung can't be consumed by even something as big as a large gourd
because gourds don't have mouths.