RLG Cultural Materials database

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 12 23:34:09 UTC 2003

   RLG (Research Library Group) Cultural Materials database is another new database here at NYU.  Like PCI, it has the potential to be enormous, but just sucks right now.
   It has materials from the Chicago Historical Society and the Chicago Daily News, so I typed in "Windy City."  I got a blank screen.
   It has materials from the Panama-Pacific International Exposition of 1915, so I typed in "Audrey Munson."  I got a blank screen.
   I get a blank screen with whatever I type in.  No slow little bar going up to 100%.  Just a blank screen with "DONE" at the bottom.
   Here's what the RLG CULTURAL MATERIALS database supposedly contains:

Welcome What's Inside How to use it

Maps, photographs, objects, documents, art, sound, and motion.
Archives, libraries, and museums from around the world are making their treasured collections available through RLG Cultural Materials. The content reflects the richness of the human experience through time — high-quality digital versions of ancient maps, medieval manuscripts, handwritten letters, drawings, paintings, sound recordings, books, and moving images — from prestigious memory institutions. Bringing these exceptional materials together encourages new kinds of multidisciplinary research.

Credits
CURRENT CONTRIBUTORS
RLG Cultural Materials is expanding. As of November 27th, 2002 the service contains 142,553 works in 60 collections from the following contributors:

American Antiquarian Society

Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley

Bayerische Staatsbibliothek

Chicago Historical Society

Duke University

Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens

Indiana University

International Institute of Social History

Library of Congress

Linda Hall Library

London School of Economics

National Library of Australia

National Library of Scotland

National Library of Wales

Natural History Museum

Pennsylvania State University

Smithsonian Institution

Smithsonian Institution. Archives of American Art

University of Edinburgh

University of Glasgow

University of Minnesota

University of Oxford

University of Pennsylvania

CURRENT COLLECTIONS
American Ballroom Companion: Dance Instruction Manuals, Ca. 1490 - 1920
American History Material Culture
American Terra Cotta Company Photograph Collection
Ansel Adams's Photographs of Japanese-American Internment at Manzanar
Artistic Homes of California
By the People, For the People: Posters from the WPA, 1936-1943
C. Hart Merriam Collection of Native American Photographs, ca. 1930-1968
California Faces: Selections from The Bancroft Library Portrait Collection
California Gold Rush Mining Towns Photographed by Alma Lavenson, 1930-1968
Carl Van Vechten Photograph Collection
Cased photographs and related images from The Bancroft Library Pictorial Collections
Chairman Smiles: Posters from the former Soviet Union, Cuba and China
Chicago Daily News negative collection
Farber Gravestone Photograph Collection
First Scottish Books
Frank M. Hohenberger Photograph Collection
Furness Shakespeare Library
George E. Hyde & Co. Canning Operations, 1915-1921
Gweithiau celf mewn ffram / Framed works of art
Hill & Adamson Collection
Historic American Sheet Music Collection
James D. Phelan Photograph Albums, 1902-1929
Jesse Brown Cook Scrapbooks Documenting San Francisco History and Law Enforcement, ca. 1895-1936
Last Letter of Mary Queen of Scots
London School of Economics Pamphlet Collection
Lone Mountain College Collection of Stereographs by Eadweard Muybridge, 1867-1880
MacGillivray
Maps from the Library of Congress
Maps of Scotland, 1560-1769
Medical History
Music for the Nation: American Sheet Music, 1870-1885
National Library of Australia - Digitised Images from the Pictorial Collection
Natural History: Digital Editions
Out of this World: The Golden Age of the Celestial Atlas
Pennsylvania Bridges Collection, 1884-1915
Photographs from the Jack London Collection
Photographs of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, 1915
Photographs Related to the San Francisco Graft Trial, 1907-1908
Production Photographs from "Greed," Erich von Stroheim Production Adapted from Frank Norris' "McTeague," Produced for Goldwyn Film Corp. (February to October, 1923)
Robert B. Honeyman, Jr. Collection of Early Californian and Western American Pictorial Material
Roy D. Graves Pictorial Collection, ca. 1850-ca. 1970
Roy Flamm Photographs of Buildings Designed by Bernard Maybeck, ca. 1950-1955
Russian Children's Picture Books
Scenic Collections Database
Science and Technology Digital Editions
Selections from the Marcel Breuer papers
Simon Marmion illuminations from the Book of Hours
Souvenir of the California Midwinter International Exposition 1894
Stereographs of the West from the Bancroft Library Pictorial Collection, ca. 1858-1906
Stereoscopic Images of India ca. 1900
Tebtunis Papyri Collection
Three Centuries of Broadsides and Other Printed Ephemera
Views of San Quentin Prison and Events, ca. 1925-1935
Views of the Panama-Pacific International Exposition, 1915
Walter Scott Digital Archive
War Relocation Authority Photographs of Japanese-American Evacuation and Resettlement, 1942-1945
Wilfred Owen Multimedia Digital Archive
William Gedney Photographs and Writings
William Gray Purcell Job Files
Woodcuts