Sandwich Generation

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 13 22:21:33 UTC 2003

SANDWICH GENERATION

   The Paul McFedries Wordspy word-of-the-day is "club sandwich generation."  "Club sandwich" is not defined and my work is not mentioned.
   This is simply a spin-off of "sandwich generation," which Wordspy traces to the TORONTO GLOBE AND MAIL of May 18, 1978, from the NEW YORK TIMES (that article is 10 May 1978, pg. C1).
   This (1974) is from OCLC WORLDCAT:

Title: Coping with aged parents
Corp Author(s): Hospital Satellite Network. ; Primark Corporation. ; Domus Design Studio, Inc.
Publication: [Los Angeles, Calif.] :; Hospital Satellite Network,
Year: 1974
Language: English
Abstract: Dr. T. Franklin Williams punctures some of the myths and describes stresses associated with growing old. He addresses the challenges of the "sandwich generation"; middle-aged people caught between raising their own children and caring for aging parents.
 SUBJECT(S)
Descriptor: Aging parents.
System Info: VHS.
Note(s): Presented by Primark Corporation.
Responsibility: producer, Arna Vodenos ; director, Mark Marqua ; a Domus Design Studio, Inc., Production. Photography, Bill Stafford.
Material Type: Projected image (pgr); Videorecording (vid); VHS tape (vhs)
Document Type: Visual Material
Entry: 19880107
Update: 20020817
Accession No: OCLC: 17315744
Database: WorldCat

"BIG APPLE" BITES

   Timothy "Speed" Levitch, a quirky, when-he's-in-the-mood-for-working NYC tour guide, got a small measure of fame when an independent feature film was made about his life.  He's appeared on the Conan O'Brien show several times, and many other tv shows--something that's never happened to me.  Conan likes the fact that Levitch is a nutjob.
   His unpublishable book was finally published.

SPEEDOLOGY:
SPEED ON NEW YORK ON SPEED
by Timothy "Speed" Levitch
New York: Context Books
2002

Pg. 17:  Jazz musicians in the Depression era referred to New York City as the "Big Apple" on their concert tour itineraries that were filled with cities they called apples.  All the cities they visited and serenaded provided for them life, knowledge, and juiciness, but New York City was the juiciest, most incredible fiasco.

   When I left on vacation, I read the FINANCIAL TIMES on the airplane.  A letter to the editor stated that New York City had won the American 2012 Olympics bid because everyone felt sorry for it.
   This wasn't true, so I wrote a letter to the FT editor.  New York City, as the Olympic comittee had stated, won the bid on the merits.  I added that New York City is my home, that I'm the person who solved the Big Apple, and that I welcome the Olympics to the Big Apple in 2012.  (The apple could be used for the Olympic rings symbol.)
   When I got home late on Saturday night, I saw that the FT had left a message on my answering machine.  The line "solved the Big Apple" didn't make any sense to them.  It would be taken out of my letter.