Blue laws

Ed Keer edkeer at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 14 17:01:47 UTC 2003

> P.S.  I recall that decades ago stores larger than
> some specified
> size were not allowed to be open on Sundays, and
> that these "blue
> laws" were kept in force by the smaller mom-and-pop
> stores that could
> stay in business by virtue [no pun intended] of
> these blue laws, but
> I guess eventually the larger stores threw their
> economic muscle
> around and had the regulations repealed, here and in
> other eastern
> states.
> --

In Bergen county, NJ--home of Paramus--there are
general "no shopping" blue laws so that no stores are
suppposed to be open on Sunday. However, some stores
open anyway. I've heard the fine is only $25.00.
These laws stay on the books apparently because
residents want them to keep traffic down. It's almost
impossible to get anywhere on 17 on a Saturday in a
reasonable amount of time.

Ed