Maides of Honor (1587); High Holy Dayes (1653)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 15 02:46:16 UTC 2003

   Early English Books Online has been available for a while now.  I've been
waiting, and I checked the NYPL's databases today.  EEBO is now full-text
searchable!
   However, I wouldn't rely on it.  Spellings can vary, as will be seen
below.  If you see a book of interest, it's probably going to be short,
anyway.  Read the whole thing!  Especially if it's a cookbook and it has a
recipe index.
   Here are two terms.

MAIDES OF HONOR
   The revised OED has 1595.  Is it Maid of Honour, or Maid of Honor, or
Maids of Honor, or Maids of Honour, or Maides of Honour, or Maides of
Honor...?
   It is also the name of a food.
   EEBO has it from Robert Greene (1558?-1592), EUPHUES HIS CENSURE TO
PHILAUTUS (1587), "next morning one of her maides of honor being stricktlie
examined, confssed that..."

HIGH HOLY DAYES
   Jim Landau wrote that this is not in the OED.  Landau submitted 1923.
   EEBO has Alexander Goughe, THE QUEEN (1653), "or at a feast upon high holy
dayes, three red Sprats in a dish..."
   LITERATURE ONLINE has Thomas D'Urfey, THE RISE AND FALL OF MASSANIELLO,
part ii (1700), "...that your Ladyship reserves for high Holy-days..."