Re:       Re: F**king-A

Wed Jan 15 05:17:14 UTC 2003

In a message dated 1/14/03 8:02:15 PM, sclements at NEO.RR.COM writes:

> I doubt that 60+ New Englanders would be good authorities on the expression.
> I am 58 and also remember it from my early college days(1962).
>
> In "The F Word" by Jesse Sheidlower,
> "Fucking A" was certainly in use in WWII.  But those "60+" NE'ders weren't
> around in WWII to know that, were they?  They probably associate the two
> because Flying A gasoline was so prevalent? in NE.
>
> --Sam Clements

I always thought this was "Fuck An A" or "Fuck A Nay"--I never in my life
heard a velar nasal here, always an alveolar nasal. The full phrase from the
1950s Iowa high school I attended was "Fuck-an-A John!" This meant about what
"Right on!" meant in the 1970s, and translates roughly into what I hear as
"Damn Straight" today.