F**king-A

Wed Jan 15 12:32:08 UTC 2003

I wonder how many times any of us have heard "fucking" with the velar
nasal? I find it hard to do. (Just like "fishing"; I go "fishin,"
commercial fishermen go "fishing." Actually, guys who dress up in
funnly pants-boots and hats and use big ol long skinny poles to catch
trout also go "fishing" in my speech.)

I suppose "fucking a's" pronunciation with an alveolar could cause
those given to alveolar pronunciations in general to folk etymologize
it. On the other hand, us alveolarizers could be said to have folk
etymologized for the same reason. I fact, the sense ("you bet," or
"damn straight") is absolutely right in my speech, and leads one to
hypothesize that "fucking" simply plays the role of an intensifier
(as it so often does) and "A" is not (as us kids had it) "ass-hole"
at all, but from the collection of "A" expression like "A number one"
(first class), etc... . An interesting proposal.

dInIs

--
Dennis R. Preston
Professor of Linguistics