Big Apple Big Onion; Blimp (1916)

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Wed Jan 15 22:10:01 UTC 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:

#In a message dated 1/15/2003 10:18:08 AM Eastern Standard Time,
#GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU writes:
#
#
#> I hope that someone will respond with info on the more accepted origins of
#> the Big Apple instead of just ridiculing this suggestion, imaginative as it
#> may be.
#
#   We've done this a thousand times.

But the person writing in with this supposed etymology, if he is in good
faith -- and I see not indication to the contrary -- doesn't know that.
As the sergeant said to his 47th crew of raw recruits who didn't know
left from right, "Jee-zus CHRIST!!! I've been screamin' at you morons
for a month-and-a-half and you STILL ain't got it straight!!???"

This is part of the price we pay for having been in this game a long
time. There are ALWAYS new people. And that's good.

-- Mark A. Mandel