reciprocity for bilingual dictionaries?

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Wed Jan 15 23:14:32 UTC 2003

Complete reciprocity isn't truly possible because languages don't have
one-to-one correspondence of individual terms, let alone idioms and
collocations. For instance, in Benjamin's example below, there would not be
a headword for the compound "clothes changing day" on the English side of
an E-J dictionary, because this is not a recognized compound in English.
However, a good dictionary would show such terms as glossed examples at the
most relevant entry--usually the first or core noun in a compound or phrase.
On projects that, from the outset, are meant to aid the student in both
directions--ones that have both an L1-L2 and an L2-L1 side--it is now
possible, and indeed desirable, to use electronic sweeps to help you
determine if the words used on one side are represented on the other. But
this only gets you so far; there's no substitute for carefully developed
headword lists that are all but complete before a project starts, so that
the compilers of each side have both lists to refer to.

By the way, Benjamin, DeLaurenti's Deli in the Pike Place Market brought
the recipe for tiramisu into its newsletter for ordinary Seattleites many
moons ago--at least by the early 80s when I briefly worked there! Of
course, since your tiramisu is "fancy", maybe we all could use the recipe? ;-)

Wendalyn Nichols