Kanga, Kanzu, Kikoi (1910)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 16 19:30:23 UTC 2003

GLIMPSES OF EAST AFRICA AND ZANZIBAR
by Ethel Younghusband
London: John Long, Limited
1910

   This is a great book for the places I just visited.  I have only a few minutes to type it all.

Pg. 26:  ...Ngoma (dance)...

Pg. 34:  Boys wear a cotton singlet, a loin cloth of "amerikani" (unbleached calico from America) or if rich enough, then a "kikoi," a white longcloth with a native woven coloured border and ends, and a "kanzu," a long white shirt reaching nearly to the ankles, often sewn with red at the neck, and sometimes made of very thin muslin or tussore silk.  On their heads either a red tarboush or white cap, the head is always covered.  Very often a master gives his boy a livery of coloured "kisibas," a waistcoat with his initials on the pocket, and braided with some contrasting colour.  THe sultan of Zanzibar always uses the royal scarlet, but dark green or royal blue look well.
   The women in East Africa simply wear two cloths, or "kangas," one tied under both arms, and the other thrown over their necks and arms.

Pg. 39:  As in SOuth Africa, there is the "wait-a-bit" thorn, about three inches long.

Pg. 56:  ...shook in his "chuplies," not daring to move.

Pg. 83:  ...Mshenzi (wild woman)?

Pg. 107:  These ladies brought mtama (a native seed) and maize to me for my boy to buy as food for my chickens.

Pg. 119:  We saw plenty of "Tommies" (Thomson's gazelle), kongoni (native name for hartebeeste) and zebra...

Pg. 134:  ..."dawa" (medicine)...

Pg. 146:  ...Bwana (master)...

Pg. 152:  Some ate of the impala, others did not eat what they call "wild meat."

Pg. 180:  ..."Hodi" (a Swahili word always used in East Africa to ask admission into a house, as bells are very scarce and the boys usually live at teh back).

Pg. 188:  ..."nyama" (meat)...

Pg. 219:  ...kanzus, kangas...