FW: [DSNA] Fwd: Two English words with all the vowels (and y) in order

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sat Jan 18 14:46:51 UTC 2003

Jesse sure nailed this, below.  BUT, here is a related quiz for you . . .

        Who is the ONLY major league player EVER to have all 5 vowels in his first
name?

You have thirty seconds . . .

Frank Abate

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:22:55PM -0600, Luanne von Schneidemesser wrote:
> ><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office"
/>

> >I'm looking for the two words in the English language that have the
> >letters "a e i o u y" in the word in order, they can be separated by
other
> >letters.  Can you help?

The two? What makes you think there are only two?

There are a number of words in English with the vowels in order, including
_abstemious, abstentious, adventitious,_ and _facetious_, along with some
more obscure ones like _caesious_ (the shortest in English with the five
main vowels in order) and _parecious_. Most of these can have an _-ly_
suffix, giving the letters you ask for. Drop _adventitious_ from the list
if you are bothered by the repeated _i_s, but there are certainly more
than two.

Jesse Sheidlower
Oxford English Dictionary

For more information:http://polyglot.lss.wisc.edu/dsna/index.html