"mort" (woman)

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Sat Jan 18 15:57:34 UTC 2003

   My thanks to Jonathon Green for his latest ads-l message on "mort"
and to Daniel Cassidy for a private message he sent to me on the
subject; the latter is reproduced below my signoff.  With a bit of
further questioning/investigating, perhaps we can clarify the matter.

    I'm not wedded to my suggestion advanced yesterday (quoting from
my article in _Studies in Slang_, IV), although the suggestion still
seems plausible to me.  If the Germans (in whatever century) could
view a teenage girl as a fish ("Backfisch"), maybe the English could
too (hence: "mort" = "salmon in its third year" leading to "mort" =
"girl, woman").

    But let's set that aside now and look at Dr. Cassidy's suggestion
(_NY Observer_ article): "Mort: old New York slang for a woman -- Mór
te: fiery passion, high spirits, warm affection."  What's troubling
here is that the development of "mor + te" (passion/etc.) to "mort"
(woman) is assumed to have occurred not in Irish but in English.
English speakers, however, would not be expected to combine two Irish
words meaning "passion/etc." to form the word for "woman."  That
should be done by the Irish themselves.

     Dr. Cassidy's message below introduces new information: Irish
"mot" (woman) deriving from "mort." But unless this "mort" arose
within Irish, we're back to the unlikely assumption that the English
formed the word based on two Irish roots. Bernard Share's _Slanguage:
A Dictionary of Irish Slang_, 1997, has an item "mot" (from "mort")
but makes no claim for a native Irish origin of the term.  How do we
know that the term in his dictionary is a native Irish one rather
than a borrowing from English cant?

    And if "mort" (woman) is in fact a native Irish word, why can't we
simply say that this native Irish term was borrowed into English with
the same meaning?  This would be very straightforward, and we could
leave the ultimate origin of the Irish word to the scholars of Celtic

Gerald Cohen