Rerun of a bad movie; Nail jelly to the wall

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jan 22 16:54:50 UTC 2003

   Two presidential phrases.  What does Fred Shapiro have?

RERUN OF A BAD MOVIE--President Bush said this week that Saddam's actions are like a "rerun of a bad movie."  That's a "nightmare," perhaps worse.  Google Groups has this since at least 1996.  It might have been coined with the movie ENDLESS LOVE, I dunno.

NAIL JELLY TO THE WALL--I was flipping through the tv channels yesterday, and stopped at the History Channel program on the Panama Canal.  President Teddy Roosevelt's "nail currant jelly to the wall" alleged quotation was mentioned.  I've heard "jelly to the wall" again recently.  Has Fred Shapiro nailed this one down?  Did Teddy coin it?  Do people really try nailing jelly to the wall?  How about Jell-O?