unsubscribe

Timothy Benell timothy.benell at VERIZON.NET
Thu Jan 23 03:45:25 UTC 2003

unsubscribe
----- Original Message -----
From: <Bapopik at AOL.COM>
To: <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2003 9:57 PM
Subject: Navel Orange (1869)

>    From Wednesday's NEW YORK TIMES:
>
> An Orange Whose Season Has Come
> By DAVID KARP
>
> RIVERSIDE, Calif.
> FIFTY miles east of Los Angeles stands the most revered and historic fruit
tree in the United States. This centenarian might pass for any old orange
tree, were it not for the unusual grafted roots that sustain it, like
arterial bypasses, and the entourage of heaters ready to coddle it during
freezes.

> The tree, one of two from which all Washington navel oranges in California
descended, is guarded by a locked fence and commemorated by a bronze plaque.
It was propagated from trees imported from Brazil in 1870.

> The Washington, a large, easily peeled, seedless orange, caused a
sensation when it was exhibited at a citrus fair 124 years ago. The new
variety, with its built-in trademark — a rudimentary second fruit in its
blossom end — helped create an orange empire that once stretched from
Pasadena to Redlands. The navel orange came to be regarded as a sacred tree
in Southern California.
> (...)
>    OED has 1888 for "navel orange."  The revised entry has--what?
>
>    September 1869, OVERLAND MONTHLY AND OUT WEST MAGAZINE (American
Periodical Series online, but the MOA also has this periodical), pg. 0001:
>    Near by (Bahia, Brazil--ed.), was a fine plantation, belonging to the
same person, with an orange grove, said to be the finest in South America,
producing the variety known as the navel orange, so called from a little
proturberance in the rind, containing the seeds.  The pulp of the orange is
solid throughout, and deliciously sweet.  No variety so fine finds its way
to the Northern markets.

>    31 December 1871, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 2:
> _ORANGE CULTURE IN NEW SOUTH WALES._
> (...)  The orange in New South Wales often grows to a very large size.
Some navel oranges, taken from five-year-old trees, and grafted on
seedlings, were exhibited very recently in the Sydney market, and were found
to weigh respectively 22, 22 3/4, and 25 1/2 ounces.

>    19 September 1874, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 3:
> (From Bahia, Brazil, 14 July 1874--ed.)
>    We soon found one, from whom we bought some navel oranges and sapoties
(accent on the last syllable.)  As these fruits are unknown in the United
States, perhaps it will be well to describe them.  The navel orange is from
four to five inches in diameter, has a thick skin, and is very sweet.  The
seeds, instead of being in the centre as usual, are contained in a cell
about three-quarters of an inch in diameter, situated on the side opposite
the stem, where it produces an umbilicated swelling, from which the fruit
takes its name.  The sapotie resembles a large plum in size and shape, but
it contains two small seeds in its centre, and has a skin like that of a
peach, except that it is of a dirty cinnamon color.  It's taste is sweetish
and agreeable, although unlike that of any of our Northern fruits.  Sapoties
and oranges are sold at the same price--two cents each--and our refreshments
cost us the nominal sum of six cents per head.