jibe/jive, needs washed

Beverly Flanigan flanigan at OHIOU.EDU
Thu Jan 23 23:34:19 UTC 2003

On the second question, the Midwest is a mighty big area.  Where in fact
have you heard "needs washed"?  It's all through mid- and southern Ohio,
Indiana, and Illinois and extends westward at least as far as
Colorado.  But it's not in Minnesota (also Midwest to me).  And regarding
the gerund:  I grew up with it in Minnesota, but Southerners tell me they
can't accept it.  So you have three variants, one or two of which may be
acceptable to anyone you ask, but probably not all three.  So who's to say
which or how many of these are "correct"?  Not me!

(There are lots of studies of these variants, if you're interested.  See
our journal, _American Speech_, for one source.)