Congo Bars/Squares

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jan 24 08:57:09 UTC 2003

   Greetings from New York City.   I just walked 30 blocks home from Penn
Station in the freezing cold.
   David Shulman called twice and said he's at the Victory Memorial Hospital.
 The second message said he was feeling better.  I'll visit him on Friday or
Saturday.

   This is from Amtrak's ARRIVE magazine, January/February 2003, pg. 11:

   She (Judy Rosenberg of Rosie's Bakery, started about 1974 in Cambridge,
Mass.--ed.) dubbed her creations Harvard Squares, Boom Booms and Congo Bars.

   Www.rosiesbakery.com states that "Congo Bars" are "a sweet and chewy
butterscotch square chock full of chocolate chips and walnuts."  The term is
not in John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD & DRINK.  There are 198
Google hits for "Congo Bars," although some are for a "bar"=tavern by that
name.  There are many hits for "Congo Squares" (another name for "Congo
Bars"), but the place name in New Orleans occupies most of those hits.
   Neither "Congo Bar" nor "Congo Square" appears to be trademarked.  Was it
used by Nestle's and when?  (See the Google Groups discussion below.)  "Congo
Bar" does not appear to have been coined by Rosie's Bakery.

   1-7-1987, PROVIDENCE JOURNAL, pg. B-06:
   Now, I'd like a recipe for Congo Bars, using one or two eggs.

   2-11-1987, PROVIDENCE JOURNAL, pg. B-04:
   Here is my mother's recipe for Congo Squares as requested.

   2-18-1987, PROVIDENCE JOURNAL, pg. B-02:
   Last week, the recipe for Congo Bars contained a typographical error in
the instructions.  THERE IS NO MILK in the recipe.  Here it is again in its
entirety.

   7-3-1996, PROVIDENCE JOURNAL, pg. G-05:
   Some time ago, someone asked about Congo Bars, sometimes called blonde
brownies.  Here's a recipe.