European Geeks/Nerds?

Wendalyn Nichols wendalyn at NYC.RR.COM
Fri Jan 24 15:33:34 UTC 2003

In Britain they are called "anoraks" because of the stereotype of them all
wearing anoraks (parkas). And don't forget their cousins, trainspotters.

At 06:32 PM 1/23/03 -0800, you wrote:
>This query came off of another list I belong to, I thought people on this
>list might be able to help:
><<Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 01:36:07 -0800
>From: Mark Clark <clarkm at>
>Subject: European Geeks/Nerds?
>Students have asked me if there are European equivalents to the American
>geek/nerd stereotype for engineers and scientists. I am aware of the
>related term "otaku" for Japan, but nothing for other
>coutries. Any information would be appreciated, especially printed or web
>references for further information.
>Dr. Mark Clark
>Oregon Institute of Technology>>

More information about the Ads-l mailing list