Ketchup, Parmesan Cheese, Olio?, Vanilla? (1698); No "Congo Bar" in Nestle (1962)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Jan 26 00:56:29 UTC 2003

At 3:29 PM -0500 1/25/03, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>KETCHUP
>
>    OED has 1711 for "ketchup."  A quick check of LITERATURE ONLINE has:
>
>Pope, Water, d. 1714 (From MORAL AND POLITICAL FABLES (1698)):
>Pg. 95:
>    Here's all variety your heart can wish,
>    Olios, Ambigues, Bisques, Grilliades,
>    Cocoes, Vinelli, Pigniates, Pistaccios,
>    _Parmisan_ Cheese, Botargo, Caveare,
>    And Ketchup, which will make you please your Wife,...

It's those natural mellowing agents...

>NESTLE (1962)
>PERFECT ENDINGS:
>CHOCOLATE DESSERT AND BEVERAGE COOK BOOK
>  >From the Test Kitchens of The Nestle Company, Inc. 1962
>
>Stackmores (dessert), 109
>
>Pg. 109:
>STACKMORES
>SPREAD 6 graham crackers with 1 tbs. marshmallow cream, each
>SPRINKLE each with 1 tsp. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Morsels
>Repeat layer on each and top with graham cracker
>YIELD: 6
>(S'MORES are STACKMORES?...

Evidently.  Now we know what the apostrophe replaced:  a removed
tack.  And obviously "some mores" was just a convenient reanalysis.

Larry