Mall Punk, Flyering, Teensploitation, ATMitations, Human Shields

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jan 26 17:28:30 UTC 2003

     OT:  Quickly, while doing the laundry...I have a blind date to see THE
PRODUCERS in a few hours.  I'm a great date.  I take a woman to "Big Apple
Corner" near THE LATE SHOW, explain that I'll never be on David Letterman or
any tv show ever, and explain that my gross lifetime earnings from writing
and researching is below two thousand dollars (before expenses)...The woman
who set this up is my sister's mother-in-law, who also set up my
super-successful "interview" with a literary agent a while back.

MALL PUNK, FLYERING, TEENSPLOITATION

   From the NEW YORK POST, 26 January 2003, pg. 52, col. 1:

_Teensplotation_
_The art of selling almost anything to kids_
(...)  In describing how one anti-corporate punk kid from Long Island
protests the global marketplace, she writes, "He has tried to break out of
that trap by 'flyering,' or  giving out Zeroxed copies of invites to (rock)
shows to a breed of kids he calls 'mallpunks.'"

("Mallpunk" or "mall punk" is not in the OED, but has over 50,000 Google
hits--ed.)

ATMitations

   From the NEW YORK POST, 26 January 2003, pg. 19, col. 2:

_It's money in the bank for guys on the make_
(...)
   An online novelty store is offering real-looking ATM slips, with whopping
account balances, that can be pulled from (Col. 3--ed.) your pocket and used
as a handy piece of paper on which to jot a telephone number.
   "You'll make a deposit into her account in no time," boasts the Web site
www.pullmyfinger.com, which sells "ATMitations" at $3.95 for a pad of 24
slips.

(I can do this legally, but this leads to a lasting relationship of
trust?--ed.)

HUMAN SHIELD

   "Human shields" are heading to Iraq.  These are people who don't believe
in war, so they're willing to sacrifice their lives so that a madman can
develop chemical and biological weapons.  Something like that--the logic
escapes me.
   "Human shield" is not in the OED.  It certainly was used in the first
round with Iraq, as the below NYPL citation shows.  There's probably no real
definitive origin--even ancient warring armies had "human shields" to protect
their leaders.  There are no MAKING OF AMERICA cites, however.

Call #  <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/cJFE+94-15266/cjfe+94+15266/-5,-1,0,E/2browse">JFE 94-15266</A>
Author  <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/aLewis%2C+Tim%2C+1953-/alewis+tim+1953-/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Lewis, Tim, 1953-</A>
Title   The human shield : British hostages in the Gulf and the work of the
Gulf Support Group / [by Tim Lewis with Josie Brookes].
Imprint Lichfield, Staffordshire : Leomansley Press ; London : Distributed by
Turnaround, 1991.

LOCATION    CALL #  STATUS
  Humanities-Genrl Res   JFE 94-15266
Location    Humanities-Genrl Res
Descript    xi, 494 p. : ill., maps ; 22 cm.
Subject <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dIraq-Kuwait+Crisis%2C+1990-1991./diraq-kuwait+crisis+1990-1991/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Iraq-Kuwait Crisis, 1990-1991.</A>
    <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dHostages+--+Iraq+--+History./dhostages+iraq+history/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Hostages -- Iraq -- History.</A>
    <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dHostages+--+Kuwait+--+History./dhostages+kuwait+history/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Hostages -- Kuwait -- History.</A>
    <A HREF="http://catnyp.nypl.org/search/dHostages+--+Great+Britain+--+History./dhostages+great+britain+history/-5,-1,0,B/browse">Hostages -- Great Britain -- History.</A>