Jeet Jet (1950s and 1958)

Gordon, Matthew J. GordonMJ at MISSOURI.EDU
Mon Jan 27 03:22:16 UTC 2003

>From an online script of Annie Hall (I can't vouch for accuracy):

                ROB
                        Alvy, you're a total paranoid.

                                        ALVY
                        Wh- How am I a paran-?  Well, I pick up on
                        those kind o' things.  You know, I was
                        having lunch with some guys from NBC, so
                        I said ... uh, "Did you eat yet or what?"
                        and Tom Christie said, "No, didchoo?"
                        Not, did you, didchoo eat?  Jew?  No, not
                        did you eat, but Jew eat?  Jew.  You get it?
                        Jew eat?

-----Original Message-----
From:   Arnold Zwicky [mailto:zwicky at CSLI.STANFORD.EDU]
Sent:   Sun 1/26/2003 4:03 PM
To:     ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject:             Re: Jeet Jet (1950s and 1958)

i'm watching Manhattan again (tenth time or so), and checked out
the beginning of Annie Hall (almost as many viewings).  i'm almost
positive that the "anti-semitic 'jew eat'" bit occurs in Play It
Again, Sam (which i don't have a copy of at home); it's part of the
manhattan vs. l.a. theme of that movie, as i remember.

but i could just be misremembering.  i do that.

arnold (zwicky at csli.stanford.edu)