Human Shield (1893); Broccoli Rabe (1928); Snail Salad

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jan 27 20:49:32 UTC 2003

HUMAN SHIELD

   Russell Sage has a college named after him in Troy, NY.  I went to college in that town, to RPI.  I was once planning to dramatize a biography of Russell Sage, and I was familiar with the assassination attempt on Sage's life and his use of a "human shield" to save himself.
   "Human shield" shows 301 NEW YORK TIMES hits, most in the past 15 years involving Iraq.  However, the first hit is that Russell Sage incident.

   18 November 1893, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 1:
_LAIDLAW A WINNER AT LAST_
  _RUSSELL SAGE MAY HAVE TO_
  _PAY FOR HIS HUMAN SHIELD._
(Cheap-skate Sage didn't compensate the hapless guy much for saving Sage's life--ed.)

BROCCOLI RABE

   As expected, Merriam-Webster's 1976 is way off.  I searched for "rabe" with the keyword "broccoli," to avoid playwright "David Rabe" hits.  There were 380 hits in the NEW YORK TIMES alone.  Does OED need more evidence?

   25 March 1928, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 49:
_PRODUCE MARKETS_
(...)
Broccoli rabe:
   Cal., crt...
   Tex., crt...
   Tex, bak...

   10 April 1938, NEW YORK TIMES, pg. 128:
   Broccoli, okra and broccoli rabe (a loose, leafy type sold by the pound like spinach) are inexpensive and good.

SNAIL SALAD

   "New York System" is in DARE--from 1982.  That's over 50 years off!
   "Snail salad" should certainly be in the next volume of DARE.  It is an American regionalism.  Whether it makes DARE and whether it receives good citational evidence are separate questions.
   For what it's worth, this (which says near the bottom that "snail salad" is a "local thing" from RI) is from Google Groups: