Canadians in ADS

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Tue Jan 28 21:00:10 UTC 2003

Mention of
"not quite the ONLY Canadian"
brings to mind the relative quiescence of Canadian dialect studies within the
American Dialect Society in recent years. Our constitution declares that we
study "the English language in North America," and in the past we have had
even a Canadian president (Murray Kinloch) and a Canadian executive secretary
(H. Rex Wilson). But there has been only one Canadian on our annual meeting
program for the past two years, and not necessarily with Canadian topics.
  Is it the fault of us who live south of the border? Do Canadians no longer
feel welcome in ADS? Or is something else going on?
- Allan Metcalf