Fuck an A

Tom Kysilko pds at VISI.COM
Wed Jan 29 06:57:57 UTC 2003

I viewed John Sayles' "The Return of the Secaucus 7" last night.  I noted
two instances of "Fuckin' A".  One clearly indicated agreement with what
had just been said.  The other is probably best glossed as "Wow!".  Not
surprize, really.  More like amazement.  I couldn't find a screenplay
on-line, so I can't give the quotations.

At 03:25 PM 1/26/2003 -0600, Millie Webb wrote:
>               I did not have the sense at all, growing
>up (in the 70s and 80s -- having almost never heard it since then) that it
>meant something like "you are so right".  To me, it was always much more of
>a rejoinder of surprise, or even upset (for example, "Fuckin-A, I can't
>believe he did that.").  Maybe I just misunderstood it all those years, but
>I certainly had the sense in the groups I "hung" in, that it was somewhat
>negative, always a surprise, and sometimes even a shocked response.  --
>Millie

   Tom Kysilko        Practical Data Services
   pds at visi.com       Saint Paul MN USA