Query: Homographs

Lesa Dill lesa.dill at WKU.EDU
Thu Jan 30 13:52:59 UTC 2003

Homonyms! Homonym is like metaphor.  Metaphor, as a cover term, includes
metaphor and simile. Homonyn covers homographs (written the same, but  sound
different) and homophones (sound the same). Some people, I think, use homonym
to refer to homographs only???
I've come across somewhat of the same situation with the words jargon, argot
and slang.  Is there really a lot of confusion or is the confusion regional?