Canadians in ADS

AAllan at AOL.COM AAllan at AOL.COM
Thu Jan 30 16:13:55 UTC 2003

Here is the official statement of ADS purpose, Article II of our constitution:

<<The American Dialect Society is organized in the interest of the academic
community and not for profit. Its object is the study of the English language
in North America, together with other languages or dialects of other
languages influencing it or influenced by it.>>

The editorial policy on the inside back cover of American Speech follows this
declaration but is more cosmopolitan:

<<American Speech is concerned principally with the English language in the
Western Hemisphere, although contributions dealing with English in other
parts of the world, with other languages influencing English or influenced by
it, and with general linguistic theory may also be submitted . . . . The
journal welcomes articles dealing with current usage, dialectology, and the
history and structure of English. American Speech is not committed to any
particular theoretical framework, but preference is given to articles that
are likely to be of interest to a wide readership.>>

In practice, I think we focus appropriately on our core with due attention to
our periphery, at all of our venues: our meetings, our journals, and our
discussion list. But I do think we haven't heard as much from Canadians and
about Canada as we had in the past, and I miss that.

- Allan Metcalf, ADS executive secretary