RINO (1993); Savannah newspapers; Dagwood Sandwich (1939)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 2 22:41:00 UTC 2003

RINO

   RINO=Republican In Name Only.
   It's been said of New York City's current mayor, the billionaire (and former lifelong Democrat) Michael Bloomberg...If Bloomberg adds a lot to the Municipal Archives, we'll have RINO RECORDS.

(GOOGLE GROUPS)
From: Donald E. Hatfield (dhatfiel at agsm.ucla.edu)
Subject: Both of you, leave us alone! was<Re: Lefties, please leave us alone.>
Newsgroups: alt.politics.usa.republican
Date: 1993-06-18 22:34:41 PST
(...)
williams at bigsow.enet.dec.com (Bryan H. Williams) writes:

>In article <1vdc9oINNso8 at dns1.NMSU.Edu>, dward at scf.nmsu.edu (Dan Ward) writes...
>>      The republican party is responsible for the mess we're in.  If
>>      you voted for Ronnie and George - then step right up and accept
>>      some of the blame.
>Is that a fact? Our schools have failed miserably if you really believe that.
>Which party has owned the House of Representatives for the last 40 years and
>the Senate for all but 2 of the last 30(?) years? THE DEMOCRATS, joined by
>LIBERAL RINO's (Republican in Name Only). Only Congress can raise taxes. Only
>Congress can raise the debt ceiling. Both Reagan and Bush (and I'm no Bush fan)
>were held hostage by the liberals in Congress to sign an omnibus budget of
>"force little old ladies to go without Social Security checks because the
>government shut down."
(...)

(FACTIVA)
VIEWPOINT
TIPOFF EDELMAN SEAT LACKS ALLURE OF OTHERS
Rick Orlov
663 words
Los Angeles Daily News
VALLEY
(...)
Added to that was his appearance before the Los Angeles County Federation of Republican Women where one former supporter presented him with a campaign button that had the red international slash through it and the initials RINO.

"It means Republican In Name Only," said Celeste Griego, who was passing out the buttons. "We're giving them out to all the politicians who pretend to be Republicans."

SAVANNAH NEWSPAPERS

   The Savannah (GA) newspapers are not on GALILEO yet.  Almost no newspapers are there.  While I was at the Library of Congress last week, the librarian told me that Savannah had requested some microfilm reels from the 1990s.  Whatever they're doing, it doesn't look like a NEW YORK TIMES-like digitization.
   There is an LOC Newspaper Division index, compiled by the WPA, to some colonial Savannah newspapers.
   FWIW, I asked the local library and got this:

  Subj:
Savannah newspaper digitization project