Whoopie Pie (1971); Mud Pie (1971)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 5 01:01:10 UTC 2003

   Not a Jewish dessert from Whoopi Goldberg.
   Several people have asked about the history of "whoopie" on Google, but
without receiving answers.  Several people said that "whoopie pie" is also
called "gobs."  DARE and John Mariani both don't have "gobs."  I have no idea if
DARE is making "whoopie."
   From the historical newspapers at ancestry.com.

   22 October 1971, MARION STAR (Marion, Ohio), pg. 8-B, col. 2:

      "WHOOPIE" PIES
Cream
   1 cup Mazola oil
   2 cups brown sugar
Add
   2 eggs; beat well
Add
   3 cups flour
   1 teapsoon soda
   1/4 teaspoon salt
   1 cup milk
   8 tablespoons cocoa
   1 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla
   Mix thoroughly and let stand 1 hour or until batter holds shape.  Bake 8
minutes at 370 degrees.  Put 2 cookies together with filling and wrap in waxed
paper.
      Filling
   5 tablespoons flour
   1 cup milk
   Cook until thick, should be thick enough to cook away from pan.  Cool this
mixture.
   1 cup sugar
   1 cup Crisco
   1/2 teaspoon salt
   1 teaspoon vanilla
   Beat till very fluffy.
      Mrs. Rex E. Wagers
      1933 Matheny Ave.

   I found "MUD PIES" in column three.  It doesn't say "Mississippi," but the
"mud pie" idea is here in Ohio at this date.

      MUD PIES
1 cups of sugar
3 tablespoons coco
1/2 cup milk
2 1/4 cups of oats
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 stick of butter
1/3 cup peanut butter
   Cook sugar, coco and milk 1 1/2 minutes.  Then mix vanilla, butter and
peanut butter.  Let melt, add oats.  Drop by spoonfuls on wax paper, let cool.
   Jackie Wilson, Age 13
   Decliff, Big Island Road