IVY LEAGUE ERROR; Subway Series (1928); Bronx Cheer (1922)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 5 11:56:42 UTC 2003

IVY LEAGUE ERROR

   I double-checked.  The "Ivy League" that ancestry.com said was from a 1934
newspaper was, in fact, from 1939.
   This has happened with ancestry.com about five times.  I just found "Bronx
Bombers" in October 1935.   When I looked at the actual newspaper, it CLEARLY
said 1936.  This stuff has never happened with ProQuest or with the Brooklyn
Eagle or with MOA or with any other service.
   In the "Ivy League" case, there was no date at the top of the page.  But I
did some research on Sid Luckman--1934 seemed early for him--and he signed
with the Bears in 1939.
   Always, always, always re-check the date.  Ancestry.com screws up all the
time.  Sorry.

SUBWAY SERIES

   Still earlier.

   27 September 1928, SHEBOYGAN PRESS (Sheboygan, Wisconsin), pg. 16, col. 4:
   The chances of the New York Giants turning October's big baseball show
into another "subway series" are something more than mathematical, however.
(Written by Frank Getty, United Press Sports Editor--ed.)

BRONX CHEER

   A little earlier, and just before the birth of Yankee Stadium.

   5 September 1922, MARION DAILY STAR (Marion, Ohio), pg.6, col. 6:
   There is a ghoul-like element in all baseball crowds.  They tried to give
Nehf the Bronx cheer when he started to slip in the sixth and then turned on
Bush as soon as the Giants started to get to him.

   30 September 1922, CHARLESTON DAILY MAIL (Charleston, WV), pg. 5, cols.
1-8 headline:
_Ringworms Give "Bronx Cheer" And Hurl Garlands Of Razzberries As Wills
Disposes of Clem Johnson_
(...)  (Col. 1--ed.)
      _"Bronx Cheer"_
   While the crowd was giving vent to the "Bronx Cheer" and hurling garlands
of raspberries from the gallery, Pady Mullins, the manager of Wills followed
his man through the crowd telling all:  "He was way off tonight.  He was way
off."