"gay agenda"

Mark A Mandel mam at THEWORLD.COM
Sun Jul 6 17:29:27 UTC 2003

On Sun, 6 Jul 2003, Arnold Zwicky wrote:

        [...]

#        It's only homosexuals who are routinely referred to as having
#an "agenda".  If I talked about the women's agenda, the business
#agenda, the Black agenda, the Southern agenda, the Jewish agenda, the
#fundamentalist agenda, the urban agenda, and the like, you'd have some
#idea what sort of thing I was referring to in each case, but you'd
#probably feel uncomfortable with the suggestion that there's an
#ominous monolith of activism at work.

ISTM that the first sentence in this paragraph assumes, or requires, a
modifier such as "in the mainstream press". Though I can't provide
citations, I feel fairly sure that I've seen "the Jewish agenda" (or
"the Zionist agenda", in an attempt to cover against charges of
antisemitism) in quotations from various media I don't try or want to
read; and I wouldn't be surprised to find "the fundamentalist agenda" in
other media whose leanings I find less personally objectionable.
Similarly (to "Jewish") for "Black" and "women's", although the latter
may be more often fulminated against as "the feminist agenda".

OK, who'll run the obvious Google searches?

-- Mark A. Mandel