Antedatings from Mae West Plays

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Mon Jul 7 15:43:31 UTC 2003

Here are some antedatings from Mae West's plays:

rough trade (OED 1935)

1927 Mae West _The Drag_ in _Three Plays by Mae West_ (1997) 101  Rough
trade, Davy.

trade (OED, 11.b., 1935)

1927 Mae West _The Drag_ in _Three Plays by Mae West_ (1997) 121  Of
course, I don't go flouncing my hips up and down Broadway picking up trade
or with a sign on my back advertising it.

whoops (OED 1937)

1928 Mae West _The Pleasure Man_ in _Three Plays by Mae West_ (1997) 172
I guess you're right.  Whoops!

Fred Shapiro