Jelly Roll (1870)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 8 05:19:28 UTC 2003

  I was asked by the "spacemen took our maize and hid the evidence" guy if I
could beat 1895 for "jelly roll."
  I had already posted an 1871 "jelly roll" recipe in the ADS-L archives.
I'll now do better than that.
  Keep in mind that some "jelly cake" recipes might actually be "jelly
rolls."

(MICHIGAN'S "FEEDING AMERICA" ONLINE COOKBOOKS)
YOUNG COOKS' JELLY ROLL
La Cuisine Creole, A Collection of Culinary Recipes from Leading Chefs and
Noted Creole Housewives, Who Have Made New Orleans Famous for its Cuisine. New
Orleans: F.F. Hansell & Bro., Ltd., c1885
Jelly Roll
The Woman Suffrage Cook Book: Containing Thoroughly Tested and Reliable R
ecipes for Cooking, Directions for the Care of the Sick, and Practical
Suggestions. Boston: Mrs. Hattie A. Burr, c1886

(ADS-L ARCHIVES--1871 JELLY ROLL)
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0111A&L=ads-l&P=R2043

(ADS-L ARCHIVES--JELLY CAKE)
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0108A&L=ads-l&P=R2554

(GERRITSEN COLLECTION ONLINE)
Elliott, Sarah A.
Mrs. Elliott's housewife : containing practical receipts in cookery
New York: Hurd and Houghton, 1870, 365 pgs.
Convenient economical recipes for women to offer their families.

   Pg. 201:
   JELLY ROLLS.
   Beat three eggs with one cup of sugar, two tablespoonfuls sweet milk or
water, one and a half cups of flour, with one teaspoonful of cream tartar and
one and a half of soda sifted in it.  Mix in a dough, spread it with jelly and
roll it up, cut it in pieces an inch thick and bake, or bake it in one and then
divide.  Cream can be used instead of jelly for breakfast or tea.

(ACCESSIBLE ARCHIVES)
September, 1866
Godey's Lady's Book
Philadelphia
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Vol LXXII Page 258

CAKES, PUDDINGS, ETC.
Jelly Cake.To three well-beaten eggs add one cup of powdered sugar, one of
flour; stir well, and add one teaspoonful of cream of tartar, half a teaspoonful
of saleratus dissolved in three teaspoonfuls of water. Bake in two pie-pans,
spread as even as possible. Have ready a towel, and as soon as done, turn the
cake on it, bottom side up, then spread evenly with << jelly>> , << roll>>  up
quickly, and wrap in a towel.

(AMERICAN PERIODICAL SERIES ONLINE)
The Ladies' Home Journal and Practical Housekeeper (1884-1889), Philadelphia;
Jun 1885; Vol. VOL. II,, Iss. 0
THE CHILDREN'S BIRTHDAYS.; pg. 3, 1 pgs
   ...but jelly roll cake we must have, a big, generous sheet, baked in the
largest dripping pan, spread thickly with jelly, rolled, and when cold, cut in
slices, whose thickness must be determined by the number of little guests
present.