publisher's typos

Mark A. Mandel mamandel at UNAGI.CIS.UPENN.EDU
Tue Jul 8 19:39:44 UTC 2003

On the newsgroup rec.music.filk, which is dedicated to the music of
science fiction and fantasy fans, David J. Hughes recently posted a
lyric "God rest you, merrye hippogriffs", inspired by _Harry Potter and
the Order of the Phoenix. Gary McGath commented:

>One little nitpick: In the original, the comma comes after "merry"
>rather than before.  It means "God keep you merry, gentlemen."

Lee Gold <lee.gold at comcast.net> then wrote from her own experience as a
game author:

Or it was a publisher's typo -- or a Rowling typo the publisher
failed to catch.  This happens all the time.  Ones perpetrated on me
include

        To be confirmed in one's feudal land holding, one had to swear
an OATH OF REALTY

        Viking era small towns typically had one street with each
house having a front porch overlooking the street and a BAR in back.
(This should have been a barn, but it would make for a fun experience.)

        A demonologist can increase his chance of invoking a demon
by sacrificing SENTIMENTS.  (Well, I meant "sentients", but the
other is an interesting idea.)

Attributions:
        "Oath of Realty"  (Medieval England, worldbook for
LANDS OF ADVENTURE -- Fantasy Games Unlimited - caught in galleys)
        "barn in the back" (VIKINGS - Iron Crown Enterprises -
caught in galleys)
        "sacrificing sentiments" (Land of the Rising Sun - Fantasy
Games Unlimited -- published)

My favorite typo was in an edition of HIGHWAYS IN HIDING by George O.
Smith, which had a villain named Dr. Leon Sprague (yes, a reference; at
one point, he decamped) who in at least one edition of the book poisoned
a hypodermic needle and... "came into the room holding a typo", "typo"
being a typo for "hypo."

        <<< (end of quote from Lee Gold>

"Dr. Leon Sprague" is a reference to the well-known sf author L. Sprague
De Camp.

-- Mark A. Mandel, The Filker With No Nickname
     http://world.std.com/~mam/filk.html