Hobson v. Hobbes

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Jul 9 18:29:26 UTC 2003

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003, Fred Shapiro wrote:

> Bryan Garner is the dean of legal usage authorities, but in this instance
> he appears to be mistaken.  At least two of the three examples of
> "Hobbesian choice" he gives in his Dictionary of Modern Legal Usage do not
> appear to be malapropisms for "Hobson's choice."

I meant to say "legal usage experts" (I realize that the phrase "usage
authorities" would get me in trouble on this list, maybe "usage experts"
will too).  And let me add that at least three of the four examples of
"Hobbesian choice" Bryan gives in his Dictionary of Modern American Usage
do not appear to be malapropisms for "Hobson's choice."

Fred Shapiro