Re:       Fwd: Time Out Magazine

Wed Jul 9 21:37:25 UTC 2003

This dates back at least to the 1950s. We used it when I was in high school
then in Cedar Rapids, Iowa (class of 1958). My memory is that it was picked up
from line in a movie (maybe Marlon Brando in THE WILD ONE?), I can't be sure.
My guess is that "Let's blow this [place]" (usually shortened to "Lets blow")
came first.

It had noting whatever to do with oral sex, though of course the term
BLOW-JOB and the insult BLOW ME! were very widely used in those days.

Ron Butters
Professor of English and Cultural Anthropology
Duke University

[I'm in Australia today and will not be home until 14 July, so I'm not easy
to reach by phone, but I will be checking my e-mail every day]

<BLOCKQUOTE CITE STYLE="BORDER-LEFT: #0000ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PAD> anyone help with this?  I can figure it out to the extent that it