Chinese Restaurant Syndrome (1968); Yacomann; Chop Suey & Comfort Food

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 10 21:59:06 UTC 2003

CHINESE RESTAURANT SYNDROME

   Not in OED, but there are over 1,600 Google hits.  John Mariani mentions it, but gives no date.

(PROQUEST HISTORICAL NEWSPAPERS)
  Relief May Be in Sight For Those Who Suffer From Chinese Cooking; Monosodium Glutamate Zeroed In on by Some Scientists As Cause of Mysterious Malady ; By EARL C. GOTTSCHALK JR. Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL; Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Jul 11, 1968; pg. 20, 1 pgs

  A Bewildering Malady Strikes Some Patrons Of Chinese Restaurants; Cafe Owners Insist Their Food Isn't the Cause of Ailment, But Two Doctors Think It Is; By EARL C. GOTTSCHALK JR. Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL; Wall Street Journal (1889-Current file), New York, N.Y.; May 28, 1968; pg. 1, 1 pgs

  ' Chinese Restaurant Syndrome' Puzzles Doctors; By RICHARD D. LYONS; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; May 19, 1968; pg. 68, 1 pgs

(JSTOR)
Monosodium L-Glutamate: Its Pharmacology and Role in the Chinese Restaurant Syndrome (in Reports)
Herbert H. Schaumburg; Robert Byck; Robert Gerstl; Jan H. Mashman
Science, New Series, Vol. 163, No. 3869. (Feb. 21, 1969), pp. 826-828.
Stable URL: http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=0036-8075%2819690221%293%3A163%3A3869%3C826%3AMLIPAR%3E2.0.CO%3B2-6

YACOMANN

   Yacomann?  Cited in this article next to "chop suey."

   27 July 1902, ATLANTA CONSTITUTION, pg. 52?, col. 5:
   The yacomann is a sort of soup in which macaroni, meat and boiled eggs play the star parts.

MARION BURROS, "CHOP SUEY" & "COMFORT FOOD"

   Marion Burros also got "chop suey" wrong, too.
   Here are the 1985 articles where Burros "popularized" comfort food (according to William Safire).  Normally, when you're over half a decade late on a topic, you'd be embarrassed.
   If I did something like this in my job of parking tickets, I'd be fired immediately and I'd lose my license to practice law.  If the NEW YORK TIMES does this, it's corrected only under extreme pressure.

CHOP SUEY
  Chop Suey, at 90, Is Still a Mystery; By MARIAN BURROS; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Aug 30, 1986; pg. 46, 1 pgs

COMFORT FOOD
  Some Like Their Lumps in Mashed Potatoes; By MARIAN BURROS; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Dec 7, 1985; pg. 32, 1 pgs

  Turning to Food For Solace; By MARIAN BURROS; New York Times (1857-Current file), New York, N.Y.; Mar 9, 1985; pg. 15, 1 pgs