Questions about hash house lingo

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Mon Jul 14 14:42:40 UTC 2003

>1) "bull you, bowl up' (beef soup)--I supposed that "bull you"
>derives from "bouillon"; but why "bowl up"?

Maybe one could order different sizes, e.g., "cup of soup" versus "bowl"?

>3) "an Archer avenue comin' on the run" (pork and beans). Explanation: ?

Archer Avenue was a major street in Chicago, a city known for many
slaughterhouses: refers to pork probably?

>4) "Corn Johnny" (corn bread).  Why "Johnny"?
>
>5) "brown the Jack" (corn bread).  Why Jack?

"Johnnycake" in 'standard' English.

>7) "brown stone front" (porterhouse steak). Why "brown stone front"?

An architectural style, presumably related to "porterhouse" in the archaic
sense of a building?

Only guesses.

-- Doug Wilson