Yale's "Boola-Boola" (30 October 1900)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 15 00:51:36 UTC 2003

   What are you talking about, Fred?  I gave a link to the YALE ALUMNI
MAGAZINE (2000) article on "Boola Boola."  That article mentions the song "La Hula
Boola."  What do you mean, I gave no acknowledgment at all?  Is Yale's
information not reliable?
   For those who can't/didn't follow the link and want me to possibly violate
Yale's copyright restrictions, here's an important part of the article:

...information about the history of the "Boola Song." My grandfather answered
that the song "came out in the fall of 1900, and was gotten up jointly by two
of my classmates, F.M. Van Wincklen, A.H. Marckwald and myself." He
continues:

> Just how much each of us did in regard to it is difficult to say, as it was
> one of those things that just more or less happened. The tune was gotten up
> and we only had one word which we set to it, and that word was "Boola," which
> to our minds had a very euphonious sound. The tune is not altogether
> original with us, but was undoubtedly adapted from some other song, although later
> on we did discover that there had been published a song, which at the time was
> out of print, called "La Hula Boola," and the air was quite similar but the
> time was different.
>
> A group of us started singing the song and it occurred to me that it would
> make a good football song, so with the aid of another of my classmates, James
> L. Boyce, I put words to the song. This was on a Friday afternoon, and the
> next day, Saturday, I got up a group of classmates, taught them the song, and
> we went to the football game that afternoon and it was then sung as an
> athletic song for the first time. It immediately made a hit and has been sung at
> Yale ever since, and in addition, I believe, has been adopted by a number of
> other colleges. [The University of Oklahoma borrowed the tune for "Boomer
> Sooner."] I therefore believe "Boola" achieved popularity as quickly as any other
> song on record after it was finally written.
>
> It is interesting to note that many people have asked us what the word
> "Boola" meant, and we said it was an Hawaiian word and meant a joy cry. We stuck
> to this for several years until someone came along and pointed out to us that
> there was no B in the Hawaiian language and therefore Boola could not
> possibly be an Hawaiian word. So the fact remains that we do not know what it means,
> except that it was euphonious and easy to sing and to our young ears sounded
> good.

The game Grandfather referred to was the Harvard game, played on November 24,
1900. Yale won, 28-0.

   I've just found "Boola-Boola" in October 1900, so I beat that by a month.
I posted it.  What more do you want from me?