The Norfolk Dialect

Peter Trudgill peter.trudgill at UNIFR.CH
Wed Jul 16 12:19:51 UTC 2003

I dont know if this is ethical - I apologise if not - but I suspect
that a few North American dialectologists might be interested in my
new book, and it certainly will not be advertised except in
Britain......

Peter Trudgill. The Norfolk dialect. Cromer, England: Poppyland
Publishing (www. poppyland.co.uk), 2003. pp. 104. Ppbk £8-95. ISBN
0-946148-63-5.

This work looks at the linguistic history of the English county of
Norfolk, at the different languages that have been spoken there, and
at the development of this distinctive dialect of English over the
last 1,500 years. It examines the dialect in the context of the
dialects of Great Britain as a whole, and describes the vocabulary,
grammar and phonology of both traditional and more modern forms of
the dialect. It also looks at the role played by the Norfolk dialect
in the formation of dialects of American English.
--
Peter Trudgill
Professor of English Linguistics

Telephone (UK):