Thousand Island Dressing (1914); LOC nix on LA Times

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 16 18:57:08 UTC 2003

THOUSAND ISLAND DRESSING

   I was asked about "Thousand Island Dressing."  It's cited from at least
1914.  Supposedly, it was invented at Chicago's Blackstone Hotel; the manager
later moved on to the Drake Hotel.  I'll find out more when I have access to the
full text CHICAGO TRIBUNE soon.  Here are the posts and ancestry.com's
earliest.

http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind9909A&L=ads-l&P=R507
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0007B&L=ads-l&P=R175
http://listserv.linguistlist.org/cgi-bin/wa?A2=ind0008B&L=ads-l&P=R189

   8 July 1914, IOWA RECORDER (Greene, Iowa), pg. 7, col. 2:
   _Thousand Isle Dressing_--From the number of salad dressings bearing this
name one must be named for each island.  The dressing is a simple French
dressing as above with the addition of chopped onion, celery, peppers with some
catsup; in fact, anything may be added and named a Thousand Isle dressing.

LOC NIX ON LOS ANGELES TIMES

   I e-mailed the LOC newspaper division twice.  I asked (1) if it had the
Los Angeles Times from ProQuest, and (2) if it had the early San Antonio
newspapers, which appeared to be the actual newspapers, usually stored off-site in
Maryland.
   Nix on both.  So much for that "taco & enchilada" trip.  I COULD fly out
to Southern California for the LOS ANGELES TIMES.  That's the place I oughta
be.  Swimming pools, movie stars..

LOS ANGELES TIMES QUERY
Librarian Reply:  We do not have it yet.
(This is the first I've heard if it, thank you!)

It will probably be a while before (and if) we get it. (We only just got the
Washington Post.)

I did a FirstSearch search, but did not find any other libraries that say
they have it.
You might want to call Bell and Howell and ask them who they've sold it to:
1-800-521-0600

SAN ANTONIO NEWSPAPERS QUERY
Librarian Reply:  Dear Mr. Popik:

    The Library of Congress does not retain bound volumes  from San Antonio
including  the Western Texan, San Antonio Express and San Antonio Ledger. These
bound volumes have been transferred to the American Antiquarian Society (185
Salisbury St., Worcester, MA 01609-1634) for microfilming.
.
    Our online search of the Union Lists file in the First Search database
indicated the Western Texan (1848) is held at the Southwest Texas State
University Library, Texas State Library and University of Texas at Austin.

    The American Newspapers 12821-1936: A Union List of Files Available in
the United States and Canada, identified the San Antonio Express (1865) is held
at the Carnegie Library (San Antonio).   You may wish to contact these
institutions for further information.

    Our search for the San Antonio Ledger found no libraries which retain the
1850 issues.

  Good luck with your research.

K.P.
Reference Librarian
Newspaper and Current Periodical Room
Serial and Government publications Division
Library of Congress