Shrimp and Grits (1939); Shrimp Wiggle (1913); Frenchee (1955)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 18 04:32:53 UTC 2003

SHRIMP AND GRITS

   John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN FOOD AND DRINK (1999) gives no
date for this Southern breakfast dish.

   20 July 1939, OGDEN REPORTER (Ogden, Iowa), pg. 6, col.1:
   "Plus grits and shrimp and what have you."
   The girl rose from the breakfast-table and joined Mrs. Hamilton on the
veranda.
(From the story CHILD OF EVIL by Octavus Roy Cohen--ed.)

SHRIMP WIGGLE

   Mariani cites 1949.  I think I've seen some recipes around the turn of the
century.

   22 October 1913, ELYRIA DEMOCRAT (Elyria, Ohio), pg.3?, col. 4:
       _Shrimp Wiggle._
   Three tablespoons of melted butter, two tablespoons of flour stirred in, 1
1/2 cups of milk; cook until it thickens, then add two cans of shrimp and one
can of peas; drain the liquid off of each and add them to the mixture, then
stir all together; salt to taste; serve on toasted bread.  But we have ours
with mashed potato.

FRENCHEE

   Somebody asked about Nebraska "Frenchee" sandwiches.  Ancestry.com has one
Nebraska newspaper, but it's from 2002 only.

(TRADEMARKS)
Typed DrawingWord Mark  FRENCHEE
Goods and Services  (ABANDONED) IC 030. US 046. G & S: sandwiches for
consumption on or off the premises. FIRST USE: 19550700. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE:
19550700
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   74116482
Filing Date November 19, 1990
Owner   (APPLICANT) Food Host U.S.A., Inc. CORPORATION NEBRASKA P.O. Box
83089 Lincoln NEBRASKA 68501
Attorney of Record  Alan T. McCollom
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL