Yankee Fanniversary; Holy Cow! trademark; Cover Jinx

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 20 01:44:17 UTC 2003

YANKEE FANNIVERSARY

_The ABCs of Yankee History_
Y Yankees
   When the team moved to New York from Baltimore in time for the 1903
season, it was known as the "highlanders" because it played its games on a hill, at
Hilltop Park.  But even before the Yankees fled there for the Polo Grounds in
1913, newspaper editors, searching for a more headline-friendly nickname than
Highlanders, had begun calling the team "Yankees," often "Yanks" for short.
In time, the new name stuck.
--NEW YORK POST, "YANKEE FANNIVERSAY" SPECIAL, 19 July 2003, pg. 31.

   It's been a great month.  I'll give the Chicago Public Library a few more
months for it to reject my work (or even respond) before jumping off a bridge.
   Several weeks ago, it was announced that the New York Post would run a
"Yankee Fanniversary" special.  I solved "Yankee" and my work on "fan" was in
AMERICAN SPEECH, so surely I'd be able to give away this work for free.
   There were 20 Grand Prize Winners and 100 First Prize Winners of a 25-word
"Fanniversary" contest.  The winners got free Yankee tickets--something I'd
never gotten.  I could've entered, I tried to do better.  Maybe I could just
speak to somebody?  I e-mailed Gersh Kuntzman, who told me to e-mail someone
else.  I did, right away, within an hour.  He never e-mailed back.
   I told him about the first appearance of "Yankees" in the 7 April 1904 NEW
YORK EVENING JOURNAL, owned by William Randolph Hearst and edited by Harry
Beecher (grandson of preacher Henry Ward Beecher and grand-nephew of Harriet
Beecher Stowe).  I told him about the first appearance of "Bronx Bombers," which
I had found in the NEW YORK POST.  I told him about the Subway Series, the
Bronx Cheer, and much else.
   No reply.
   You get much more credit for doing bad deeds.  If I were to buy a gun, go
to the Bronx, and start shooting, I'd be on page pne of the NEW YORK POST.
But If you solve the "New York Yankees" and want to give your work to New York
for free, or if you want William Safire to help you contact Helen Hayes about
"the Great White Way," or if you ask David Dinkins to help honor the African
Americans who gave us "the Big Apple," you're less than nothing.
   I give my work away for free.  It's darn good work.  I haven't earned more
than a month's rent from this, over my entire life.  I spent about ten years
of my life almost losing my co-op apartment because of the bankruptcy and
fraud of the sponsor.  I spent more than that losing both my mother and father.
   And if anyone wants to be like me, just come with me a week like this past
week, to the Bronx, where I was on Friday and Tuesday and Monday, and work
9-5 with a half hour lunch, and no air conditioning, and then get extended as
they need you to 5:30 then 6 then 6:30 then 7, and then tell your co-workers to
look in Saturday's NEW YORK POST, it's my great moment of glory, they'll
surely take my work for free...

HOLY COW

H  Holy Cow!
   WIth apologies to Harry Caray, there is only one trademarked baseball call
of the bovine variety, and Phil Rizzuto owns it.
--NEW YORK POST, 19 July 2003, same article as above.

   Along with my information on "New York Yankees," I told the POST that I'd
traced "Holy Cow" to slang from at least the early 1920s.
   A check of U. S. Patent and Trademark Office records shows that the
baseball call is not trademarked, by Phil Rizzuto or anyone else.  The late Harry
Caray owned a restaurant, and there is one Harry Caray "Holy Cow" trademark.
   But none for Rizzuto.
   There are 46 "Holy Cow" trademarks, with the earliest in 1964.

(TRADEMARKS)
Typed DrawingWord Mark      HOLY COW!
Goods and Services  IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: bar and restaurant services.
FIRST USE: 19871021. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19871021
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   74635012
Filing Date February 9, 1995
Published for Opposition    September 16, 1997
Registration Number 2216797
Registration Date   January 12, 1999
Owner   (REGISTRANT) Harry Caray, Ltd. CORPORATION ILLINOIS 180 East Pearson,
Unit 4101 Chicago ILLINOIS 60611
Attorney of Record  Kenneth P. Taube
Type of Mark    SERVICE MARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Other Data  Registration is limited to the area consisting of the states of
Alabama, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana,
Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan,
Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New
York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island,
South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, West
Virginia, and Wisconsin. Concurrent use proceeding No. 1086 with Serial No.
74/350,870.
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Word Mark     HOLY COW
Goods and Services  (EXPIRED) IC 005. US 018. G & S: VETERINARY MEDICINAL
PREPARATION FOR USE AS AN AID IN THE PREVENTION OF MASTITIS IN MILKING DAIRY
CATTLE. FIRST USE: 19640401. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19640401
Mark Drawing Code   (5) WORDS, LETTERS, AND/OR NUMBERS IN STYLIZED FORM
Serial Number   72203969
Filing Date October 14, 1964
Registration Number 0794342
Registration Date   August 17, 1965
Owner   (REGISTRANT) INTERSTATE INDUSTRIES, INC. CORPORATION MISSOURI , DOING
BUSINESS AS INTERSTATE CHEMICAL COMPANY 609 LIVESTOCK EXCHANGE BLDG. KANSAS
CITY, MO.
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15.
Live/Dead Indicator DEAD

COVER JINX

   An article at www.yankees.com celebrating the 100th anniversary lists
Yankees firsts.  It's wrong, too.

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nyy/news/nyy_news.jsp?ymd=20030429&
content_id=295089&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp
   The firsts ... Gehrig's No. 4 retired ... Numbers on the back of uniforms
(1929) ... Six-figure contract, to Joe DiMaggio (1949) ... Televising the bulk
(140 games) of the schedule (1958) ... Adding "SI jinx" to the sports
lexicon, after the June 21, 1965 issue features a Mantle cover under the headline,
"End of an era?" ...

http://www.idirectnetwork.com/PF/720FORM/index.asp?v=29&b=WIGGINS&a=
   They knew about the dreaded Sports Illustrated cover jinx, which started
with the magazine's first issue, in 1954. Baseball player Eddie Mathews graced
that cover, and then promptly was injured. Through the years, some of the
stars who've appeared on the SI cover have lost playing time, big games, their
careers and even their lives. Sure enough, within a week of being on

   11 July 1951, DIXON EVENING TELEGRAPH (Dixon, Illinois), pg.11?, col. 1:
   SO ONCE MORE that TIme magazine cover jinx we talked about a couple of
weeks ago comes into play.  Sugar Ray Robinson, whom Time termed just about the
most perfect human fighting machine operating today, got his in England
yesterday from a youngster named Turpin.

   As I said before, the "cover jinx" was well known with TIME magazine.  It
later became applied to SPORTS ILLUSTRATED, a Time Inc. publication.
   The information at www.yankees.com is wrong, as the term was well known
before 1965.  SPORTS ILLUSTRATED did an issue about it in 2002.  Doesn't anyone
check anything?