Breakfast Club, Oscar & Sanity Clause from HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jul 20 04:32:37 UTC 2003

     OED is now on "n," but that's not far from "o."  The LOS ANGELES TIMES
will be available soon, but I want an "Oscar" now.  I tried reading the
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER and the HOLLYWOOD HERALD at the NYPL Library for the Performing
Arts.
     I was told that the HOLLYWOOD HERALD is off-site (like much of the
NYPL), in Princeton. New Jersey.  It will take about three business days to get it.
 The library is closed on Sunday, closed again on Monday, then Tuesday, then
Wednesday, so maybe I'll get my Saturday request on Thursday.
    There are reasons why I try to avoid the NYPL.

OSCAR

   Bette Davis won her first for DANGEROUS (1935) in 1936.

   24 January 1947, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, "Rambling Reporter" by Edith Gwynn,
pg. 2, col. 2:
   Also--do you know how the statuettes happened to get that name?  It was
this way: Several years ago, when Bette Davis was married to Harmon O. (for
Oscar) Nelson and won her first award, she took it home, put it on the mantle,
stared gleefully at it, and said to "Ham," "Let's name it 'Oscar'."  And the tag
stuck.

BREAKFAST CLUB

   There was a brat-pack movie titled THE BREAKFAST CLUB (1985).
Director/screenwriter John Hughes is from Chicago and probably got the title from the
radio program.  "The Breakfast Club" has several early 1930s citations, and I'll
check the CHICAGO TRIBUNE for even earlier.

(GOOGLE--BARNES & NOBLE)
    Don McNeill and the Breakfast Club
<A HREF="http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?userid=6VMMFZKVJR&ath=John+Doolittle">John Doolittle</A>
Hardcover - BOOK & CD, March 2001
Product Details:
ISBN: 0268008981
Format: Hardcover, 247pp
Pub. Date: March 2001       Publisher: University of Notre Dame Press
Edition Description: BOOK & CD
Barnes & Noble Sales Rank: 251,670
     From the Publisher
        "Before morning talk radio, before Garrison Keillor and Lake Wobegon,
before Oprah, Jay, Rosie, and Dave, there was Don McNeill and his Breakfast
Club. From his first broadcast in June 1933 until his sign-off in December
1968, Don McNiell presided as emcee over his creation, along the way cultivating
as widespread an audience and as long-lived a show as any that flourished in
the decades when radio was the dominant source of news and entertainment in
American life."--BOOK JACKET.

     From The Critics
        Library Journal
Before Garrison was even a twinkle in Mr. Keillor's eye, Don McNeill launched
a radio show with a unique mix of humor, music, and audience participation.
>From 1933 to 1968, the Chicago-based Breakfast Club aired every weekday on the
ABC radio network (originally NBC's Blue Network). Millions of Americans tuned
in to hear songs, jokes, interviews, the "March Around the Breakfast Table,"
the "Moment of Silent Prayer," and other regular features. (Except for his
strong support of public prayer, McNeill eschewed politics, though he did run for
president in 1948 on the Laugh Party ticket.) In this thoroughly researched
and highly readable account, Doolittle (broadcast journalism, American Univ.)
reminds us just how popular Breakfast Club really was, especially with
homemakers of modest means but also with the likes of J. Edgar Hoover and Justice
William O. Douglas. Many show business celebrities were guests on the show,
including Jimmy Stewart, Lucille Ball, and Jerry Lewis. The book is accompanied by a
CD that features clips from actual shows. Recommended for all popular culture
and communications collections. Susan M. Colowick, North Olympic Lib. Syst.,
Port Angeles, WA Copyright 2001 Cahners Business Information.

Internet Book Watch
The "Breakfast Club" was a morning radio program staple in hundreds of
thousands of homes across America beginning in 1933 until its final broadcast in
December of 1968. Don McNeill hosted this program which was completely unscripted
and involved a lot of studio audience participation. Now John Doolittle has
memorialized that unique and beloved radio show host and his program in Don
McNeill And His Breakfast Club. Here is the history of a man and a program that
developed an enormous and loyal listenership in an era when broadcast radio was
the major daily mass media for information and culture in the country.
Doolittle's informative, enthusiastically recommended history is enriched with the
inclusion of an accompanying CD with sample clips from the show to give the
reader an authentic flavor of what the program was like and why it became (and
stayed) one of the most popular components of morning radio.

(TRADEMARKS)
Typed DrawingWord Mark  BREAKFAST CLUB
Goods and Services  IC 030. US 046. G & S: COFFEE. FIRST USE: 19320101. FIRST
USE IN COMMERCE: 19320101
Mark Drawing Code   (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number   72200827
Filing Date August 28, 1964
Registration Number 0791112
Registration Date   June 15, 1965
Owner   (REGISTRANT) COCA-COLA COMPANY, THE CORPORATION DELAWARE 310 NORTH
AVENUE, N.W. ATLANTA GEORGIA
Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Prior Registrations 0645848
Type of Mark    TRADEMARK
Register    PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text  SECT 15.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 19850615
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

   8 May 1935, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, pg. 3, col. 4:
   The Breakfast Club on Central avenue is so called because all the
entertainers from the black and tan joints in the neighborhood drop in there for
breakfast and, incidentally, entertain one another.

--------------------
"BREAKFAST FOOD" PICTURES (SERIALS)

   14 October 1937 (Seventh Anniversary Edition, undated), HOLLYWOOD
REPORTER, pg. 249:
_THE OATMEAL DEPARTMENT_
By Barney A. Sarecky
   MENTION SERIALS to the average movie-goer and prepare to be regarded
questioningly, with a touch of compassion. (...)
   The greatest obstacle in the production of "breakfast food" pictures is
the low budget allotted to them.

----------------
SANITY CLAUSE

   I'd posted the citation to A NIGHT AT THE OPERA (1935) before.  This
identifies it as a "George Kaufman silly."
   This is perhaps of interest for slang dictionaries and legal quotations
books (Fred Shapiro).

   2 July 1935, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, pg. 2, col. 4:
   We've jsut heard a George Kaufman silly which is going into the Marx
Brothers' picture.  Groucho is handed a contract, but objects to sugning it,
pointing to a clause which says "In the event Groucho goes insane the company is no
longer responsible and the contract is null and void."
   "That's perfectly O.K.," Groucho is told.  "It's a sanity clause."
   "Doncha know, there ain't no SANITY CLAUSE?" snaps Groucho.

--------------------
SANDWICHES--"NANCY CARROLL SPECIAL"

   Before the "Dagwood"--the "Nancy Carroll Special"?
   Nancy Carroll was a popular actress.  She is given credit for being the
first woman to sing and dance in a movie, in ABIE'S IRISH ROSE (1928).
   I looked through her clipping file and could connect her to sandwiches no
better than Mae Murray to dunking donuts.
   For what it's worth.

   15 June 1935, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, pg. 4, col. 4:
_THE GIRL:_  Her name was Eve Whitney, but to the half million subscribers of
the Morning Tab she was Doris Dare, sob sister de luxe.  She was the
possessor of a certain look.  When she turned it upon surly and uncommunicative
tycoons, they grew garrulous as a Bryn Mawr girl on a Christmas holiday.  Her editor
called it The Big Brown Eyes.  Her figure was like the girl in a stocking ad,
despite the fact that her daily lunch was a Nancy Carroll Special--a sandwich
consisting of, beside toast, various layers of peanut butter, mayonnaise,
baked ham, crushed olives and black walnuts, marmalade, tongue, salami, lettuce,
white meat of chicken, grated hard boiled eggs, anchovies, kosher corned beef
and Swiss cheese.  Along with this delicacy she drank hot chocolate.  For
dessert she had pineapple ice cream with hot fudge sauce.  For the sake of her
diet (which she rigidly and needlessly observed) she had no butter on the toast
nor did she eat the maraschino cherry on the sundae.
(...)
These characters are out of a treatment on a couple of Liberty Magazine
stories by JAMES EDWARD GRANT...

--------------------
GRAND DUCHESS COCKTAIL

   A vodka cocktail.  Not the most popular cocktail, but still, not far from
Bloody Mary?

http://ads.adviva.net/serve/v=300;m=3;l=1416;c=777;b=5683;ts=1058675145229

   15 June 1935, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, pg. 2, col. 4:
   We hear that the coast is going vodkarazy.  Eastern visitors tell us that
the drink which pleased czars and stars is in great demand at the Vendome and
Trocadero.  It's very popular here, too, the favorite way of drinking it being
in the Grand Duchess cocktail, made oif two parts vodka, one part rum,
three-fourths part lemon juice, one-four to one-half part grenadine and dash of
Angostura bitters.