SW Historical Quarterly (1897-1918); Delicatessen (1839?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Jul 21 21:22:23 UTC 2003

SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY

   The SOUTHWESTERN HISTORICAL QUARTERLY (1897-1918 years) is online, free, at:

http://www.tsha.utexas.edu/publications/journals/shq/online/index.html

   I was looking just now for an early "ancho" (pepper) but couldn't find it.

DELICATESSEN

THE EXPEDITIONS OF JOHN CHARLES FREMONT
VOLUME 1
TRAVELS FROM 1838 TO 1844
edited by Donald Jackson and Mary Lee Spence
Urbana:  University of Illinois Press
1970

   All right, so I was looking for lamb's testicles.

Pg. 50:  Excerpt from the _Memoirs_ (1839)

Pg. 62:  Until this strange flavor was accounted for the Indians thought they were being poisoned; but, the cheese being shown to them, and explanations made, confidence was restored; and by the aid of several kettles of water sweetened with molasses, and such other tempting _delicatessen_ as could be produced from our stores, the dinner party went on and terminated in great good humor and general satisfaction.

(Maybe this is from MEMOIRS OF MY LIFE (1887)?--ed.)

OT:  MID-DEPRESSION MISC.

   Last Saturday's NEW YORK POST couldn't run my "Yankee" information, which I gave for free.  Today's NEW YORK POST, 21 July 2003, pg. 3, has an "exclusive" story titled "DEREK'S BIG FEAT."  Almost the entire page is a free NIKE ad for the great Yankeee hero.
   My bills arrived today and I owe $300 for three Library of Congress trips (Chicago thanks me), $200 for yearly ancestry.com, and about $500 for health insurance.  I have to beg to give my work away for free.  Derek Jeter doesn't have to do this for 25 years.