"Windy City" in Los Angeles Times (1885) (CONTINUED)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 22 03:05:06 UTC 2003

   The Chicago Public Library hasn't responded to me on "Windy City."  I wrote to them years ago, then again on May 28th.  Does it take longer than the Gulf War to change a few lines of text?  Will I get any respect, ever?  Maybe while I'm stil alive?
   The LOS ANGELES TIMES goes back to 1881 and I'd found "Windy City" in 1879 (CINCINNATI ENQUIRER), but here's more proof--DOES CHICAGO STILL NOT BELIEVE ME?--that "Windy City" does not come from NEW YORK SUN editor Charles Dana's comments about the 1893 fair.  Notice, again, the Cincinnati citations.
   From ProQuest Historical Newspapers:

1.

      A Slow Freight Wreck.
              Los Angeles Times (1881-1886).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Feb 20, 1885.                   p. 0_4 (1 page):
   Mr. S. J. Mathes, formerly of the TIMES, arrived in the city yesterday, fresh from the zeronian zephyrs of the Windy City.  When he "riz" from his virtuous couch and measured the mercury, Tuesday morning of last week, it was 32 notches below the 0.  Next day had a balmy Italian temperature of 22 below; and Thursday noon, when he left Chicago, the weather had gone up to the torrid figure of zero.

2.
      S0 MANY AIR LINES.
              Los Angeles Times (1881-1886).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Aug 8, 1885.                   p. 5 (1 page)

3.
      THE QUEEN CITY.
       GLOSTER.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: May 19, 1888.                   p. 3 (1 page) :
   Strange to say, the average Cincinnatian is not boastful of the size and population of his city.  he readily concedes the palm to the windy city by the lake, or the big village across the big bridge--...
(Chicago and St. Louis--ed.)

4.
      CINCINNATI LETTER.
       GLOSTER.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Jun 11, 1888.                   p. 5 (1 page):
   But Mrs. Cleveland must move--if the Chicago convention is wise, I say she must. (...)  They prophesy that even if a dark horse is nominated in the Windy City, his lines will not fall in pleasant places if he persists in doing what they claim he is now doing.

5.
      Other 2 -- No Title
              Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Jul 30, 1889.                   p. 1 (1 page)

6.
      THE WORLD'S FAIR.
       Telegraph to The Times.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Jan 9, 1890.                   p. 4 (1 page)

7.
      THE WORLD'S FAIR.
       Telegraph to The Times.       Los Angeles Times (1886-Current File).       Los Angeles, Calif.: Mar 20, 1890.                   p. 5 (1 page)