Scram scaraim split...

Daniel Cassidy DanCas1 at AOL.COM
Tue Jul 22 14:59:13 UTC 2003

Scram
Scaraim

Scaraim: I separate;
I get away,
I escape.
I split....

( Dineen,  p. 958)

SAP
SOP

Or am I a sap?

Sop: a wisp of straw; a wispy person. A weak person, like a wisp of straw.

BLOW

Buail, Bualadh, Vn.  ( pron. Balawh)
To beat, to strike, to defeat, to proceed out, to depart,
to "beat it"...as in "blow this joint."

WHALE
Not the white one, the Irish "bhuail..."

Whale
Bhuail

Bhuail
(to) Whale
as in "to beat..."

morphs to...

WELT

Bhuail te
Welt
A frenzied beating.
The Irish adjective "te" means "ardent, passionate, hot."

And...

BELT

Buail te,
Belt
to hit (someone, something) with passion and feeling.

I hope the above does not give anyone on the list a case of the Anglo-Saxon
flu.

Fan-tods
>From Huck Finn to the Iceman Cometh

Fantods, fan-tods
Fiain-taod; fiadhain taghd
Wild fit. Violent fit.

"By-and-by I was close enough to have a look, and there lay a man on the
ground. It most gave me the fan-tods...it was Miss Watson's Jim!" (Adventures of
Huckleberry Finn, p. 36)

Harry Hope:
You and the other bums have begun to give me the graveyard fantods."

(The Iceman Cometh, p. 610.)

I better scaraim...before some sap gets the fantods and tries to belt me.

Beannacht

Daniel Cassidy
San Francisco
July 15, 2003