Re: Marc Tóin = Marc To/in = Marc Toin = Mark Twain ?? where's the diac. mark?

Tony McCoy O'Grady maxiogee at ESATCLEAR.IE
Wed Jul 23 22:01:52 UTC 2003

On Dé Céadaoin, Iúil 23, 2003, at 16:18 Europe/Dublin, Daniel Cassidy
wrote:

> Here's Sam Clemens (nee Clements) real moniker in Gaeilge...

> Mark Twain
> Marc T=F3in =3D Marc To/in =3D Marc Toin
> (sans Gaeilge diacritical marks)

> T=F3in: bottom, lowest part, underside, bottom. Bed of sea or river.=20
> Ar thoin an locha, at the bottom of the lake.=A0=A0=20

As Mark Twain took his name from the cry of the Mississippi boatmen
calling out the 'depth' of the river, his pen-surname would surely
translate into Gaeilge as either Dhá" - "D (buailte) a (fada)" or
"Beirt"
This is according to Tomás De Bhaldraithe's English/Irish dictionary of
1959

Tony McCoy O'Grady
---
"You spoke a little word of praise; 'Twas nothing much and still
It lighted up my tearful days Like sunrise on a hill."
Patrick Kavanagh: To a Distant Friend