"Hot Dog" banned (1916)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 24 00:58:44 UTC 2003

    For the benefit of those doing "hot dog" books...This NYU iMAC signed me off when I pressed "SEND" (with this attached to a longer message), so I have to type everything again.  This has happened before.  Joy.

  12 April 1916, LOS ANGELES TIMES, pg. II7:
_HOT DOGS AND_
   _SINKERS TABOO._
_Food at Public Park's Clean,_
   _but Slang Names Aren't,_
      _Council Decides._
(DIRECT WIRE--EXCLUSIVE DISPATCH.)
   POMONA, APril 11.--At the suggestion of Police Commissioner Paul Higgs, the City Council today passed a resolution ordering Mrs. W. A. Blodgett, who handles the Ganesha Park concessions, to refrain from displaying in her lunchroom or in any other place in the park signs referring to articles of food as "hot dogs," "bow-wows," "ki-yis," "red hots" and other things suggestive of the most common variety of hash slinging.
   "I'm dead against this 'hot dog' business," said Commissioner Higgs, as he introduced the resolution.  "So far as I know, the food sold at the park is clean and nourishing and I'd like to see the label on it just as clean as the victuals.  I think such terms as 'hot dogs' are beneath the dignity of the people who pay taxes to keep up the beautiful resort.  Doughnut sounds a heap better to me than 'sinker.'"

("Hot Dog" was banned in Ganesha Park?  What term did they use?  Siva sausage?--ed.)