Baghdad-on-the-Hudson/Subway; Dude (1876?)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Jul 24 06:04:50 UTC 2003

BAGHDAD:  Oops.  I meant "Baghdad-on-the-Subway."  Maybe I got confused with
MOSCOW ON THE HUDSON.  I was looking quickly for a date for "Baghdad" and O.
Henry, and the first Google hit used "Hudson."

DUDE:  An interesting LOS ANGELES TIMES article mentions the supposed origin
of "dude."  I'll possibly copy it tomorrow, and Fred Shapiro can look at it.
It claims that the first "dude" is in PUTNAM'S for February 1876.  MOA has
PUTNAM'S. but the periodical ended in 1870.  ??