"what goes around, comes around" proverb

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Thu Jul 24 13:54:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> Does anyone (Fred, Barry?) have any info on this recent-ish proverb
> "What goes around, comes around"? The only discussion here seems to
> have been a posting Barry made on the headwords in a 2002 glossary
> of prison slang. How early is it?

The earliest I see on Nexis/NYTimes Historical/WPost Historical is the
following, which is probably what you have already:

1976 _N.Y. Times_ 15 Sept. 52  What goes around comes around, according to
some local philosophers.

Fred Shapiro