"rush the growler"--(its derivation)

paulzjoh paulzjoh at MTNHOME.COM
Sun Jul 27 11:54:19 UTC 2003

In my childhood, when I went to get beer for my grandfather, the can that
the beer was carried in was "the Growler"
As I remember it was a 6 to 8 inch in diameter can about 5 inchs tall and
tin plated with a cover.. Never saw these used for anything else than beer
carriers. (Would be interesting to see if these carriers are still being
made) I guess it would have held about a quart. Big deal when you're 5 years
old to go three or four blocks to a tavern and use the family entrance, very
excitng to be warned by bartender to don't you drink any of this, always got
a half glass of "head" when I got back.